21 January 2013

Prayer & Fasting: Days 6 and 7

I was talking to a dear friend at small group last night about our fasting and how it hasn't worked out the way we originally planned. She wanted me to make sure that I didn't view it as a complete failure. Rather, I need to remember how sick and horrible I felt, and remember that's how spiritually dependent I am on God, even if I might not feel the physical ailments as I did with the lack of food. I think I understood that for myself for the most part, but it was so good to hear it specifically and have it confirmed by someone that's strong and mature in her faith, and that I respect so highly.



On Saturday, we slept in. Yubo was out on that call, and didn't get home until about 1am. He still wasn't feeling well anyway, and thankfully, my acapella rehearsal got cancelled. So we rested. Went out to breakfast before taking me to the doctor. I learned that potato pancakes from Shari's are delicious, and seem simple enough to make (though I'll still look up a recipe).

We've decided to get me on birth control. So I'll be able to pick up my prescription after 3pm today, assuming the cost isn't ridiculous.

I talked with my doctor about the fasting and how I've been eating anywhere from 950-1200 calories a day. She said that it'll still be safe 'til the end of the 21 days, but that I shouldn't go longer than that.

She told me the weird bubble on my foot is called a ganglion cyst, and that I don't have to worry about it unless it starts to hurt or grow big that it gets in the way of things.

And Yubo and I both got Tdap vaccine shots.

After the doctor, Yubo went off and helped two people from church with some plumbing things. So the day was mostly filled with errands.


Sunday, it was a struggle to wake up. But God certainly answered my prayers that we would both feel well enough to sing. And although the congregation didn't seem very responsive, we did get some good feedback that some people were moved; another answered prayer that God would use us in that capacity.

Lunch with P.Keith was good. He confirmed things that he was seeing in our relationship, like a lack of tension that was there before. I think that's from starting and ending our days together like I always wanted. And P.Keith also confirmed that he feels the Lord is pleased with what we're doing, and wants to continue to bless us even more.

I ran a quick errand to Jo-Ann Fabrics for a project, and then we were off to small group, despite feeling pretty worn. Actually hit up a Starbucks on the way there for a little help.

Small group was fun -- this group really suits our style and what we always wanted out of a small group. It certainly helps to be in the same group as P.Barry. But aside from that, just the group dynamic and the depth that the studies go into really work for us. We do what I guess is called a manuscript style of studying, where we get print-outs of the passages we're focusing on so that we can mark it up with pens and highlighters.

We got that encouragement (that I mentioned at the start of this entry) from P.Barry's wife, Michele, and also learned about bible colleges. For a time, I wanted to go to seminary, until I learned that seminary is a grad school. But P.Barry and Michele told me that I could go to a bible college that would get me to a level where, depending on the church we end up at, it would be possible to eventually get into a position like a worship ministry director without needing to have the accreditation of a pastor.


So the weekend was productive and encouraging. Also, the medicine from the allergist seems to be working -- I'm certainly feeling much better than I was the beginning of the year. Yubo is still recovering from whatever it is he has, but also seems to be feeling better. I feel stronger in my prayers. And now we begin Week 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment