10 September 2010

Kids or no?

My mom called me today, and I finally told her that I might not want to have kids. I could hear the disappointment in her voice as she tried to support me.

She explained to me that in her experience, her relationship with my dad didn't improve until my sister and I came along. But that was because they didn't marry for love. So I told her that we don't need to have children in order to have a good relationship.

She asked me what Yubo thought about my possibly not wanting kids, and I explained to her that he could go either way. Then she asked if I told Yubo's parents yet (as if this was some horrible news I had to break), and I told her about how they didn't have Yubo until years into their marriage.

As it is now, I'm more concerned about being healthy myself before bringing a new life into this world and worrying about its health alongside my own. Heck, I may want to just be a happy cat-mom of three for these next 10+ years of their lives. Dunno. Our sights and priorities will constantly be changing.

I feel a little bad, but I don't want to limit myself to telling my parents years ago that I wanted to bear them grandchildren. Then I think the reason for having kids wouldn't be the right one.

I told my mom that it's still something that we're thinking about. I haven't told her anything about my desires to live in China and Japan for a year each. She wouldn't understand why I would possibly want to do that. But she agrees that it's much better to travel without children, otherwise we're stuck for a few years before we can fly again. She also thinks it would be better to have either the cats or babies, not both at the same time. LoL. I have to agree with her on that one though, especially with a cat like Tifa.

It's something for us to pray about, but honestly it's not very high up on our prayer list. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment