17 April 2009

The lengthy engagement process.

Mochi's version.
I just skimmed through the other entries. Man, I sure do write a lot. I hope I didn't scare away what few readers there were.

Anyway, I'll try my best to be brief about this one. If you haven't already read the super lengthy entry from my dj and are crazy enough to want to read it, lemme know and I'll link you.

The highlights:

August 28, 2008.
Yubo and I fly down with the intent of Yubo and his parents asking my parents if I can marry Yubo. We all enjoy some dim sum. Go back to my parents house for dessert and tea. The parents learn more about each other. Then Mr. Crumly finally gets to the business of things, and asks for my dad's permission to let me marry Yubo. My dad explains to him the Chinese traditions concerning this whole engagement stuff. So we decide to find a date for the official engagement ceremony/party.

September 6, 2008.
Before leaving Cali, my mom gave me the ok to tell people we were engaged. My dad said that we weren't yet until the ceremony. My mom encouraged us to have a romantic dinner and have him propose if we wanted to be American about it. We're two states away, so as long as nobody told my dad. =P
So we had a very nice, mostly free dinner at Bonefish Grill (because we had a coupon). I still hadn't seen the engagement ring with the diamond actually set in it. And because of some confusion during the whole trip, I still wasn't sure if we were really engaged yet.
When we got home from dinner I asked, "So if we're actually engaged, can I at least see the ring?" So I grabbed the ring box from his luggage (he'd brought it down to show it off to our parents).
I climbed into bed next to him, and he asked me to marry him. I said yes. He gave me the box. I opened it and saw the ring. It was so beautiful. Then he took it out of the box, and slipped the ring onto my finger. And I started crying. I actually thought I wouldn't, because it wasn't a surprise. But I cried, and he got a little misty-eyed too.

I wore the ring from time to time, usually to church or whenever we were out around people. Didn't make a big fuss about it because I still was uncertain about telling people.

December 28, 2008.
Woke up pretty early to start getting ready. Curled my hair and my mom pinned it up. Did my makeup. Got dressed. Then just waited.
I missed out on a good lot because I had to stay in the bedroom until someone came to present me to Yubo's family. Lots of laughing and fun and jokes. Apparently, my dad is hilarious. I wish I was smart enough to ask someone to video tape. But there are tons of pictures on facebook. Most of what was said echoed what happened that morning on August 28th, but a little more formal with everyone dressed up. Yubo went down on one knee in front of everyone to do a formal proposal. It was all pretty entertaining.

Enjoyed some awesome food and great company. Felt so blessed to see so many of my friends there to share that moment with me.

Afterwards, Yubo and I ran off with Chin to CSUF to take our (American) engagement photos. And that was it. Finally officially engaged, no matter who asked.

Yubo's version.
I wonder if he'll even have a version of this. If he does, maybe he'll share about what I missed out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment