04 February 2013

"And" or "Either/Or"

Once again, Yubo's games come up as an issue. :(

It's not horrible, mind you.

It's just.... having been through that amazing 21 days, I personally was shocked at how easily we both reverted back to our pre-prayer&fasting ways. Yubo said it wasn't shocking; I countered that it was saddening.

I really don't think we have to be in an "either games or quality time with each other and God" situation. I truly think Yubo (and we) can have both. But how?

Last night, we both agreed that we didn't do too well coming out of the fast. But apparently I felt it more than he did. Understandable -- I'm more emotional than he is, naturally. The difference was pretty stark to me though. I felt so separated from him, and feel the same tonight. (He got to come home early, and fairly quickly got to his game as I finished watching an anime episode over my late lunch.)

We engaged in a brief but deep conversation regarding the "benefits" I see the people around me receiving that are not from God (and so they are actually curses disguised as blessings leading people farther away from God). So that was neat, although it would have been nice to have prayed through that afterward.

But anyway, it came up again about how difficult Yubo's choice games make it to just save and quit. I can relate, somewhat -- being so frustrated running around looking for a save point but continually running into monster after monster, and then giving up and resigning to start all over again from a previous save. But that still feels like an either/or situation.

Yubo's frustration came out in the form of wondering aloud if he should just sell all his games and consoles. I certainly don't think he has to resort to that, but at the same time, he said he seemed to be fine without them these past 3 weeks. But was that because he knew they were still there for him to go back to? Was he really fine without them?

But that's still either/or! .....although I think that'd be good to know.

I suppose the best "and" situation would be some sort of limiter on games, so that time each night (or every other night, or weekend, or something) is actually dedicated to us and God.

His other complaint was not really ever having a weekend. He says he never really gets a chance to completely relax. There are always things to be done that have been pushed off. So that's usually, either he spends the whole day gaming ("relaxing"), or he runs errands with me, or he helps people from church.



I feel like I'm missing something big here. Something just doesn't feel right as I try to think these things through. Maybe I'm just thinking about it so much that I've gotten confused.

I'll take a break from this now, and pray about it later (or now....). My very few readers, if you have any insights on balancing these types of things in your life, I'd appreciate a few words just to possibly get a different perspective. I'm a different person now than I was before, so even if you've shared such things with me before, let's try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment