03 January 2011

Promotion, of sorts, and Job Hunting.

Today, Yubo accepted the field supervisor position that was offered to him. He will start that position on Thursday. He was very nervous at first. He continued to pray about it a lot before settling on a decision. Messages on three nearly consecutive Sunday mornings that focused on, "Don't be afraid.... I am with you...," helped Yubo accept the position. He said that after he confirmed that he would take it, he felt loads better. But he's still not sure about how this will change his income.

Yesterday, Yubo called my dad to get some opinions on what we were discussing as far as him taking the position and me putting school off again to work. The conversation went about as well as I figured. My dad reluctantly agreed with our reasoning, so I dropped the single class I had and two waiting list classes for the quarter and now I've joined the job hunt.

I was supposed to get some applications today, but chores, changing my name with Social Security and mailing out the rest of the extra wedding DVDs consumed too much of the day. So the real hunt starts tomorrow.

I already contacted an optical office that had posted an opening for a front desk position on craigslist, but that was posted last week. I emailed them last night if they were still looking and haven't received a response yet.

Tomorrow, I plan to walk down the shopping center behind the house, focusing mostly on the Subway and QFC. I texted my friend that is a manager at the Massage Envy in Kirkland to see if she was hiring. She said that the Massage Envy in Northgate is hiring -- about a 20-30min drive away. It would be ideal to get something in the shopping center behind the house because then I can still walk over in case it's too difficult to drive, or if I just want more exercise. It'll save gas too.

My reservations about getting a job are mostly about our time frame. Yubo says he might only need me to work for this quarter, but I'm not comfortable applying to places that are probably looking for more commitment. I don't want to get hired, then bail three months later. Craigslist doesn't have much in the way of temp jobs, so I might have to look up a temp agency or something.

So that's where we're at right now. I'm happy and excited for Yubo, and going to try my best to help support us financially during this time of financial uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment