15 May 2010

It's not in the stars.

I'm not sure if I wrote about this yet in this blog, so we'll do it again. This entry is sparked by a commercial I just saw for eHarmony.

When I thought we were writing our own vows, I wrote this for Yubo. Then I found out that Yubo wanted to do the traditional vows, and this would've been considered more of a letter to him anyhow.

You were a surprise to me. Aside from being so attractive, you started off as everything I didn't want in a guy. I never would have thought that seven years after we met, you would be the one standing before me today. But here you are, despite all the challenges we've faced just being together.
You've seen me at my worst, yet you stayed by my side and helped pick me up again. You've been the cause of some of the best times in my life. And of course, you've been a constant during the frequent boring and mundane events.
Something has kept you in my life, going against what I thought was my better judgment. Now I know that something was God. He made you for me, and designed us to be together.
Out of my love for you, and to honor God's will, I will commit myself to you in righteousness and justice, in steadfast love and tender compassion, no matter what circumstances we may find ourselves in. This I promise to uphold all the days of my life.

The "I commit myself to you" bit at the end came from Hosea 2:19, the verse that was piped onto the top tier of our cake.

When I talked about how we started dating, I explained how he was nothing that I wanted. He drank, he smoked, he was in a fraternity. Ugh. So unattractive. But he kept at it with me because I was his type (at the time, I was cute and petite).

Sometimes it still astounds me that we ever got together, and that we lasted as long as we have. I still joke with him that we should sign onto one of those online dating services to see if they would match us. But then I get scared that they might pair him with another girl that is better suited for him and more his type.

At some point, I realized that if we look at any other way to match people, we should not be together, or at least would not last very long. I think I looked at numerology, astrology, and the Chinese zodiac. Funny thing right now is I searched numerology again and it had good results, whereas however many years ago it didn't. An Aries woman and Scorpio man matching still says it would be a lot of passion at first, but would be A LOT of work to maintain and probably wouldn't last long. And a Rat is just not compatible with a Rooster (amazingly, my family still allowed us to get married, LoL).

It just entertained me that we seemingly went against the world to come together and love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment