20 March 2010

Whose wedding is this?

I don't know if I'm being tested in some way, but I get the feeling I should stop voicing what I do and do not want at our wedding/reception because the universe seems to be giving me the opposite to deal with.

I'm really only looking at two things right now: the first dance, and entertainment at the reception.

First Dance.
I wanted Yubo's mom to choreograph our first dance because of her ballet and modern background. I knew that I definitely did not want a standard ballroom-type first dance. I had Yubo ask her for something more lyrical/contemporary. I mean, that was why I didn't pick a 3/4 time song.

And so she choreographed a waltz. Wait... what? Yeah, it had a few lifts and stuff, but when she started teaching it to us, I didn't know what to do with myself. There was also a lot of pulling away and then pulling close together in a super sappy corny way. SO not how Yubo and I are in our relationship.

My other bit of grief was that it was not complete. There were gaps in the choreography, so we still had to find ways to get from one moment to the next. She had left a lot of open spaces for us to just enjoy dancing with each other. My take on that is we can enjoy free-style dancing all we want for the whole rest of the night. For the first dance, I wanted to make sure it looked good. I guess I'm being super selfish in wanting to feel like I'm a dancer again. =/

I was able to tell her that, although I thought what she choreographed was nice, it was nothing that I was hoping for. She let me know that she didn't entirely understand what I meant when I wanted something more lyrical. So after Day 1 of learning, we both spent the night listening to the song again to come up with more ideas.

Managed to get the dance to something a little closer to what I had in mind, and now the rest is left up to me to choreograph.

Reception Entertainment.
I was originally thinking to have our friends perform little bits of stuff for us since so many of our friends sing, dance, and act. But then we got scared that the rest of the guests might think it was open mic, so we decided to let that idea go.

I figured that, because Yubo and I both have performance backgrounds, any sort of performance that would happen would need to be pretty darn good. No singing out of tune... stuff like that.

So we got my cousin to DJ, and were just going to pick out some good Cambodian and Chinese songs for him to play for us to dance to, and he could set up whatever American background music.

My mom called me earlier today to tell me to "fire" my cousin because it turns out he didn't have enough equipment. What? He was telling me he could bring extra speakers if we need it. My mom explains to me that he had asked my dad to bring the TV and CD player. Oh. Ok.

.....TV???

Yeah. My dad wants karaoke. Karaoke was pretty much the number one thing I did not want at the reception. In my head, it's cheesy and tacky, and most people don't sing karaoke until they've had a few drinks. And I was quite adamant to my dad that I did not want anyone using my wedding as an excuse to get drunk. And he assured me that no one would..... but now karaoke?

So I freaked out. Called Archie to get her opinion on things, and she agreed with me. She also told me that she wouldn't be comfortable going up to sing after an old Chinese person singing old Chinese songs (no Jay Chou here, folks). Good point.

Then I called Mr.Crumly to get his take on it. He actually helped me figure out an option to make this work. My mom says that I actually don't have to be there the whole night. With that in mind, Mr.Crumly said we can probably push the karaoke to much later in the night where I'll only have to deal with a few songs until we can take our cue to leave. That way, if people want to get piss drunk and sing bad karaoke, it can happen when I'm not there. Sounds like a good plan to me!

I think I'll wait to run that idea by Yubo to see what he thinks before approaching my dad with the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment