24 April 2012

Basketball.

In a momentary lapse of reason, I asked Yubo to teach me how to play basketball. And, of course, he was all too eager to take me up on that request.

With the aid of our tax return, we got ourselves geared up (with workout clothes, basketball shoes, and a basketball), and headed down to a 24-Hour Fitness Super Sport, where there is a nice court. Actually, where there is a nice everything.

This past Saturday, Yubo showed me how to bounce the ball (I actually really don't like saying 'dribble'... it sounds like drooling), and the very basics of shooting. While he played one on one with our friend Andrew, I walked back and forth across the other half of the court bouncing the ball. As more people filtered in, I decided I was good on that, and left Yubo and Andrew to play while I hopped onto an elliptical for 20 minutes. It was a good starter workout for me.

On Sunday, we went back. Yikes! Two nights in a row! Where did my mind go??

We went through some crazy difficult dribbling drills (I can't say ball bouncing drills because that's just awkward and wrong), passing, and more shooting stuff. My forearms really don't like me. I was about to get on a bike to let Yubo practice on his own (rather than be stuck slowly taking me through such basic stuff), but he was kind enough to let me call it a night since it was already 10:30pm. He also agreed that helping me ensures that he really has his basics down before getting back into games with other people.

That night, we decided to upgrade his membership and get me a membership again.

The really good thing that comes out of this is we've been spending that much more time together, and that's what I enjoy and look forward to each time.

Yesterday, we took a break because Yubo was feeling more sore than he thought he would. Although he was debating whether or not to power through it, I also asked for the night off so I could finish working on the retreat booklet for our upcoming church retreat. Tonight, we won't go because it's his on-call shift. But we should get back into it tomorrow, and we're going to try to make it as much an everyday thing as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment