24 April 2012

Doctor Who.

To Yubo's slightly feigned dismay, my fandom has only gotten worse as I eagerly await Season 7 (not that I'd be able to watch it as it airs).

ThinkGeek.com and Teefury.com have certainly added fuel to the fire, stocking wonderful Doctor Who paraphenelia and T-shirts.

But I didn't really want to talk about that. I wanted to talk about the joy of sharing my beloved Doctor with other people that I love. Like Yubo's parents.

Yubo told me that, in a phone conversation, his dad said that introducing them to the new Doctor Who series was the worst thing we could have ever done.... or something to that effect. Where is the joy in that, you ask? The joy is in knowing that they are losing sleep, just as I did, as they marathon through as many episodes as they can each night.

We had them watch the first episode of Season 1 near the end of our vacation in March. So probably something like March 28... whatever night it was before we left Arizona, I believe. As of last night, they were starting Season 5. Not too bad. The good thing about last night was, when I called them, they were finishing the first episode of Season 5, but were so confused about the sudden jolt to Matt Smith. So I was able to direct them to the special episodes that wrapped up David Tennant's 10th Doctor that weren't listed with the rest of the series. Had I not called them, they would have missed it, so I'm really glad I called. Didn't get to ask them if they caught all the Saxon references, though. They got to see most of the Bad Wolf references because Yubo gave them the heads up on those.

Yubo will actually promote the show more than I do to our friends. I'm just the one that takes notes in church meetings with a sonic screwdriver pen.

A new layer to my fandom comes with the Doctor Who Fan Orchestra. Whoever might be reading this, if you have not heard them and you are a DW fan, YouTube it.

I was so sad that I missed out on Rose's Theme, but I actually applied for this latest project, the Dalek Suite. So excited! I've been practicing best I can. It's been a struggle to find a good time to record my part since I have upstairs neighbors that never leave and walk like elephants, and cats that decide to fight at the worst times. But I'm sure I can get my part recorded before the deadline.... it's just that I wanted to have it all done already. :/  But! it's still an amazing thing to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment