23 August 2011

My Favorite Things: Resilience

Dunno if I can really call this a favorite thing. It's more like something worth mentioning.

When I talk about his resilience, I'm really talking about his immune system.

A long while ago, I was watching a show on Discovery or something called The Science of Sex Appeal. Somewhere in there, I'm pretty sure it talked about how through scent, we are attracted to those that have what we lack. Or something like that. I dunno; Yubo can tell you that I'm horrible at repeating information.

Anyway, if that's true, then it makes perfect sense that Yubo has the strongest immune system in the world. And the reason I might put this on my list of favorite things about him is that it makes me not really *need* to worry about him (although that doesn't change the fact that I do indeed worry about him).

Aside from the fact that he rarely gets sick, here's the main story why I even bring this up. The exchange went like this:

D: I was going to make you a sandwich, but I'm not feeling to great now so I dunno if you wanna just make it yourself. I left the slices of bread out for you.

Y: Boo. Ok.

And he made his own sandwich. I noticed it had cheese on it, but didn't think too much about it because I couldn't remember if we got a new package of cheese or not. When I went into the kitchen, I noticed a wrapper of Kraft Singles.

D: Honey, did you use the Kraft Singles cheese on your sandwich???

Y: Yeah. Why?

D: It expired back in April.......

Y: Oh.

With no further comment. And I let it go for a while. Then a thought hit me. We had two packages of roast beef in the fridge: one that had been opened from a long time ago, and one that was brand new.

D: Oh my god, honey, you didn't use the roast beef in the bag, did you??

Y: No, I didn't.

D: *whew* Ok, good.

But when I went to the fridge later, I saw that the roast beef package that had been opened from long ago that was in a zip lock bag had been moved from the deli drawer to the second shelf. And the brand new package of roast beef that remained in the deli drawer was still brand new and unopened. The old roast beef had expired back in June.

I was horrified! 50% of the sandwich he made for himself was expired food. And after bringing that to his attention, he nonchalantly and jokingly noted that might be why his tummy was acting up a bit.

But he didn't get horribly sick. And I scolded him for not checking things in the fridge when he should know by now that you can't really trust anything in our fridge because of how infrequently we use things. I told him I was concerned at his lack of attention, and that accepting expired medication is very different than expired food stuff.

Despite all my fretting and worrying, though, he's perfectly fine. He's gotten into really yucky things, and probably put a number of really yucky things in his body, and that's built him up to be this amazingly super healthy guy.

I do remind him that he's only getting older, and he can't treat his body like he used to back in college. He still likes to boast about his superior lung capacity or whatever back when he was smoking in college, but he hasn't had a recent physical or similar testing. I'd really like for him to go to the doctor for a complete check up, just to be sure that everything is ok. I mean, he's going to be 30 this year, so I think he's due for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment