29 March 2014

Can't catch a break.

Work for both of us has increased. That's a good thing and a not so good thing.

It's been worse for Yubo than me, as the nature of our respective jobs would dictate. Yubo is currently in the middle of working on the re-piping of an entire house... something like a $17,000 job. He was already nervous that it might cut into our vacation time, but today, we cancelled the trip.

The help that he was counting on having flaked out, several times. And when the shop finally did send him some help, it was from the least experienced apprentice who actually created more work for Yubo. Apparently, this kid slipped while cutting dry wall, and broke a sink. So now he's not relying on anyone else, and has resigned himself to working on this by himself probably into Tuesday. But cancelling the trip is better, so now he doesn't feel pressured to meet a deadline, and can pace himself to work safely and efficiently with less stress.

The good news is that the room that we booked is easily high in demand (a 3-bedroom penthouse in Vegas), and so we will more than likely get our points back as long as the room gets picked up.

I've already arranged with both jobs that I won't be available, so I'm going to keep it that way so I can be available for Yubo.

For me, we continue to get more busy with new members and gigs, which is really good. And we've hired a new coach that can perhaps help share the load.... but he's also the sole piano and guitar teacher for the lessons we're offering in April, so I anticipate his schedule will fill up really quickly just from that. I do still have several students that keep things enjoyable and fruitful and worth it for me, so I'm not quite burnt out yet. But the mini-vacation sure would have helped.

Depending on when Yubo's done with his job, maybe we can just do an overnight thing somewhere closer just as a refresher.

The excuse for the vacation was my birthday, but really, it was to give Yubo a break. He always needs one, and days off spent at home aren't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment