20 December 2012

Getting Healthy: Juice. First two recipes.

We got a juicer for a great price off of Craigslist. I was interested in juicing before, but became even more interested after watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." The movie/documentary came up in a lot of the the articles and pages I was reading about juicing.

The plan was to replace at least one soda a day with fresh juice. Honestly, I haven't been so consistent, but I do recognize that inconsistency isn't something to get discouraged about. Just need to keep trying. And I do feel better on the days that I do have juice.

Anyway, I thought I'd list some recipes here so that I don't lose or forget them.

Recipe #1: Carrot-Apple-Celery
Nice and simple, and I have no problem with the fruits or veggies in their natural form -- meaning, I would already willingly eat them. Figured that would be the best way to ease me into a juice.

2 carrots
2 Granny Smith apples
1-2 stalks celery

I originally started with 2 stalks of celery, but the taste and aroma were pretty strong. So, although I haven't tried it yet, the next time I make it I will probably take the celery down to one. Also found that I preferred Granny Smith to Gala apples for this one.

Recipe #2: Not-so-Mean Green
I gave it this name because it's not the traditional recipe.

3 handfuls baby spinach
2 cucumbers
1 stalk celery
3 Granny Smith apples
1 peeled lemon

The kale that Yubo bought turned up with a snail or something -- enough to freak us both out to not use it. I didn't use parsley because I don't care for it, and added the celery because it's refreshing. One recipe I found asked for two lemons -- just using one was more than enough. I might even go to half next time. Anyway, overall happy with the way this recipe turned out. Really refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment