08 February 2011

LCC 10th Anniversary. Counterpoint.

LCC 10th Anniversary
Lighthouse just celebrated it's 10th anniversary this past weekend. On Saturday evening we had the service, and Sunday morning was spent servicing the community.

Royce, the head of 29:11 (our young adult/career ministry) and intern pastor, wrote a spoken word piece that went over the history of Lighthouse. Yubo was asked to perform it, along with our dear friend Rose and Kyle, a SYTE kid.

Yubo was so ridiculously excited about the project that he memorized his lines within the first day of receiving the script. Actually, I take that back. He memorized his lines within the day after their first rehearsal because then it was established that it was to be memorized.

I had a love/hate response from Yubo's excitement. I loved that he was so passionate and excited about the project, but it was getting pretty annoying how often he was advertising it.

I sat through the first rehearsal. It was pretty fun to hear them read through the script a few times. The difference in personalities really came out as they delivered their lines, and it worked out so well because that's how it was supposed to be. It was all similar enough, but just with different flavoring. ^_^

The following Friday, they rehearsed with the band. I had to miss out because I answered an ad for a model to help with a photography lighting workshop. I regretted missing the rehearsal. Yubo was quick to tell me how amazing it was.

The final rehearsal was set to the following Friday, a day before the anniversary service. On Wednesday night, Royce called me and told me Rose had fallen ill and wasn't sure if she would be able to recover in time. Actually, her whole household was sick. Royce told me that he and P.Keith were trying to figure out who to ask to fill in, and I came to mind as one of the few that would most likely be able to pull it off.

So I was 90% memorized by that Friday rehearsal. It was interesting reading with them. I couldn't seem to get very into it or get excited about it. Maybe I was numbing myself to the whole thing because Yubo was already so overexcited about it. I suppose he covered the excitement for both of us, so I was desensitized. Or it could be that because I have no style, attitude, or "flava", I didn't feel suited for the role. As my best friend Eric once told me, "You're whiter than I am!"

Saturday evening arrived. Yubo and I were dolled up, and I was feeling more and more concerned about my lines. We would have a confidence monitor at the back of the house, but I wasn't too sure if it was going to help me. Running through lines again, and there were two spots that I kept getting snagged on. I started feeling anxious; I was scared I was going to let them down. Even when I got through it once or twice without a mistake, I couldn't feel relief or confidence.

As with most things that involve Lighthouse, things were running late. Some of us suspect it has something to do with the combination of Asian time and Hawaiian time. But we completed sound checks and super duper last minute rehearsals on the stage.

And then it was time.

I kicked into performer mode as I hit the stage. I was cool to see how full the house was. The congregation from both services, plus guests. We went through the piece, nearly flawlessly. I had to rely on the monitor once or twice, but was told it wasn't noticeable.

The audience's response was amazing. Kyle's rapping was dynamic and full of energy, and he got cheers and applause, which fed all of us. Yubo's intensity at the end garnered even more cheers. We were a little scared that they wouldn't know what to do with this kind of performance, but we underestimated our congregation. It was so cool to experience their reactions.

But at the same time, I felt apart from it. It's not that I wanted cheers or anything -- my part didn't warrant any and I was perfectly fine with that. Perhaps it was that I wasn't in it at the beginning, so I still felt I was just filling in.

Yubo was amazing. It'd been a long time since I've seen him act. I wondered how much it made him miss being on stage in that way. This was completely different from being on worship.

We got a lot of praise as people met us after the service was over. Yubo was with me most of the time, so I left him to the majority of the responding. I felt like they kept me in the congratulations because I was on stage, not that I did so well. Kyle and Yubo were the memorable ones.

One thing that boosted me a bit was when P.Keith came to me. He complimented me specifically, and that was probably the first time I felt I actually did well.

So that was all about the spoken word piece. The anniversary service as a whole was great. The highlight for me was when P.Wayne asked for everyone that was baptized at Lighthouse to stand. It was so moving to see how many people stood.

A comment from a lady was passed on that she had been to a number of anniversary services, but this was the only one where Jesus was celebrated, and not just the church.

I was honored to be involved in the celebration. I know that we were celebrating how good and faithful God has been to Lighthouse, and I'm happy that really came through.

We were told that there is a DVD, and our AV guys are going to see what distribution will be like. I think we're only allowed so many copies because of the licenses on the music, but it we cut out the music, there can be as many copies as desired. I really want to send one down to Yubo's parents so they can see his performance.


Counterpoint
Yubo and I recently joined an a capella group called Counterpoint that comes from Cornerstone Christian Fellowship (I think), which is one of the churches that Lighthouse is good buddies with. Matt Sekijima, who is like the David Gaulton of Lighthouse, introduced us.

It's a really fun group to be in. Yubo's already got a solo. :) BUT I want to work with him to not strain his voice on some of those tenor notes, no thanks to Steven Curtis Chapman.

We're in a very awkward situation where the group is mostly men and not enough women, which incidentally makes a female solo a little difficult to come by. Yeah, I'm a little discouraged by that. I think it's where my jealousy of Yubo comes out.

I remember when Yubo was first asked to sub on a worship team, I was so happy for him but nearly sick with envy. It was easy to ask him because there are plenty of women on the worship teams and they're always looking for male voices.

Although the Counterpoint situation is reversed, it means that it would be more likely to have a male solo because we only have three women in the group (including me), and we can rarely spare one for a solo. So when we were asked to prayfully consider a solo for one of the songs we're rehearsing, I felt I couldn't offer myself.

I'm sure all that sounds very egotistical, and some of it probably is. I mean, although I completely understand the situation, it's still a little discouraging. However, it's not that I want to be in the spotlight. It's that I usually step up when no one else seems to want to, and I feel bad when it's a situation where it seems I can't due to such limitations.

And then I shoot myself down, wondering why I ever thought I might be good enough to actually take a solo. :P

But actually, I'd rather help build their technique. Some have it, some don't, and I want to help the ones that don't.... but I don't think they really want the help. Kinda like the situation in choir. Well, maybe not quite, but I don't know how to approach the subject without sounding like I'm insulting them.

Even Yubo doesn't like the tips, suggestions and advice I offer him because they weren't asked for.

Anyway, that's what we've been up to lately alongside his work issues and my job-hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment