01 December 2010

Considering Sleeping Separately.

First off: No. Nothing is wrong.

I was watching Oprah, and they were talking about and polling the audience about what's normal. There was a couple happily married for 9 years, sleeping in separate bedrooms (one upstairs, one downstairs) for 8 years. Of course, the majority of the audience, along with Dr. Phil, thought that was not normal at all. Dr. Phil even said he was concerned for them, even if it might be working out well for them.

I've been thinking about sleeping separately from Yubo for a while. I thought about it most during a time when I was dealing with insomnia. I wasn't getting to bed until Yubo was getting out. I felt that during that time, although I was very frustrated with my insomnia, I was sleeping better without him in bed.

Now, the strange thing about this is at night, when not necessarily dealing with insomnia, I can't sleep without him. When he's out working late, I will more likely than not stay up until he comes home. Or if I manage to fall asleep, I wake up nearly every hour until he's home. I'm constantly concerned about when he's going to be home, scared if something might have happened (especially if he doesn't respond to any call or text), or my mind gets overactive and I scare myself.

But when he leaves for work, I seem to be more at ease being home alone. Also, sleeping when it's light out helps me feel safe being alone (I know that's not true, but it's how I feel). And I'm not so worried with Yubo being out because he's supposed to be.

Still, I generally seem to sleep better without Yubo in bed. Or when we had our other couches, I was more comfortable sleeping on the couch for a while.

The other part of this is Yubo's snoring and thrashing. The snoring isn't too horrible. I shared a room with my sister for years, so it was something I mostly became able to handle. However, I "joke" a lot about building some sort of barrier to keep him on his side. There have been many instances of waking up to nearly being elbowed in the face. He's actually hit me sometimes, or had his foot or leg completely on my side, so I'd usually be scrunched up and nearly falling off the bed sometimes.

Ah... and the final thing is blankets. We don't share a blanket. He has his one or two, and I have my one or two. It's nice to hog my own blankets and not be concerned about him. HOWEVER, he will often get overheated as he sleeps, or simply thrash around as usual, and it's a 50-50 chance that the blanket(s) will end up on the floor or on me. It's another way that he crowds my sleep space.

We've thought about getting two twin-full sized beds and keeping them separate, pushing them together if we're feeling lovey-dovey (which is rare for us, but not really a bad thing). I don't think I'd be too keen on having my own room, so just separate beds would be sufficient for me.

Ah... what a luxury this would be though. Too bad we can't afford it. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment