09 July 2010

Taking care of each other.

It's usually inevitable that when one person in the house is sick, everyone in the house gets sick. It only seems to work one way with us though. When I'm sick, Yubo's immune system is strong enough to stay healthy. When he's sick, there's no chance for me to not catch it. But then he also recovers much more quickly than I do, so he's usually left taking care of me as soon as he starts recovering. I feel really bad.

However, I wanted to use this entry to commend him. He's a much better caretaker than I am. You would think it would be the other way around but it's not. He's very kind and (mostly) considerate -- that "mostly" really can't be helped because I'm talking about his gaming. Unfortunately, it doesn't go away when I'm sick even though I think it really should. Although, if it did, I'd probably try and just stay sick.

Anyhow, he's nicer to me when I'm sick. He gets me the medicine I need, and he'll pause the game to get up from the couch and get me anything I need (food, drink, medicine, blanket, etc). And when I thank him, he says, "You're welcome." This most recent event, he noticed that I was asking for Gatorade often, so he picked up a case when he went to Costco without me asking.

I, on the other hand, will grumble at him whenever he asks me for something, even when he's sick. When I ask him if he needs anything, sometimes I notice an impatient tone in my voice. It's not intentional. I don't really know why I'm like that. But even with the grumbling, I do try to do what I can for him. I think it's usually that, when he's sick, he's still gaming instead of really resting like he needs to. It's probably my anticipation of him not going to bed until after midnight just to complete that quest when he really should have just taken the NyQuil and knocked out already. That's mostly likely how the irritation creeps into my actions and voice. Or that I can't help but think it's because he overworks himself and doesn't get enough sleep or some such irresponsibility that caused him to get sick in the first place. When he thanks me, I might not respond or I'll be short with him. That's really something I need to work on.

I suppose this is one of those things where I ought to learn from him. I should ask him how he feels when I respond to him the way I do. Perhaps that would make it easier for me to be kinder when taking care of him. Or maybe he just needs to be bedridden and pitiful and not playing a video game in order for me to feel that he's sick enough to need me to do things for him. :P

This is another example of how I got the better end of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment